ENERGY COMMISSION TO BEGIN IMPLEMENTATION OF CAPITAL SUBSIDY FOR ROOFTOP SOLAR PV PROGRAMME
The Ministry of Power, through the Energy Commission, is implementing a Rooftop Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Programme in the country.
The programme is in fulfillment of the President’s Rooftop Solar PV initiative announced in 2015. The primary objective of the programme is to
provide 200MW peak load relief on the national grid through solar PV technology in the medium term.
In order to kick-start the actual implementation of the programme, the Energy Commission has been tasked to facilitate the installation of
20,000 rooftop solar PV systems in residential facilities (homes) under a Capital Subsidy Scheme in 2016.
Under the programme, a capital subsidy will be given to beneficiaries in two forms, as either:
• cash payment for solar panels component of the solar PV system; or
• the supply of actual solar panels after the beneficiary has purchased and installed the requisite Balance of System (BoS) components
such as inverter, batteries, charge controllers, etc.
The maximum capacity of solar panels that will be granted each beneficiary under the programme shall be up to 500Watts.
A number of commercial banks have expressed interest in providing loan facilities to interested beneficiaries in respect of the procurement of BoS components for the solar PV systems of their choice.
Who can be a Beneficiary?
This phase of the Programme is limited to only Residential Facilities (Homes).
Prospective beneficiaries shall satisfy the following conditions:
1. Change all lamps in their facility to LED lamps;
2. Be willing to purchase BoS Components;
3. Agree that the installation of the BoS will be done before the supply /installation of the solar PV panels from the Programme;
4. Install only deep cycle batteries designed for solar PV systems;
5. Ensure that BoS meet the minimum Standards set by Ghana Standards Authority (GSA); and
6. Use only solar PV installers licensed by the Energy Commission for all the installation works.
Click HERE to download list of LED Dealers and Manufacturers in Ghana
How to become a Beneficiary
1. Pick an Application Form from the Office of the Energy Commission or its website, fill and submit it;
2. Receive approval of application from the Energy Commission;
3. Obtain a list of accredited solar vendors where BoS must be purchased from the Energy Commission;
4. Purchase the requisite BoS components (batteries, charge controllers, inverter, changeover switch and wires) from an accredited solar vendor of your choice;
5. Invite Energy Commission field officers to come and inspect the installation of the BoS; and
6. Obtain from the Energy Commission solar panels to be coupled to the installed BoS or a cash refund for the cost of the solar panels already purchased and installed, if the criteria is met.
The Programme Director
National Rooftop Solar Programme
PMB, Ministries Post Office
"CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD A CHART ON THE ENERGY CONSUMPTION OF DOMESTIC ELECTRICAL APPLIANCES AND LEARN HOW TO CONSERVE ENERGY AND SAVE MONEY".