Following the passage of the Renewable Energy Act 2011, (Act 832), the Energy Commission is responsible for regulation and licensing in the Renewable Energy sector. By the provisions of the act, any person that wishes to engage in a commercial activity in the renewable energy industry must obtain a licence from the Energy Commission before doing so. The Act defines the following activities as those that require the acquisition of a licence:
- production and supply of electricity, biofuel, firewood and charcoal;
- bulk transportation of biofuel, firewood and charcoal;
- bulk storage of renewable energy products including biofuel, firewood and charcoal;
- distribution, sale and marketing of renewable energy products;
- exportation and re-exportation of renewable energy products;
- importation of renewable energy products; and
- installation and maintenance of renewable energy facilities (solar, wind, biogas, biofuel and small hydro).
Procedure for Acquiring a Licence
The procedure to be followed to acquire the required licence under Act 832 is detailed within the The Licence Manual for Service Providers in the Renewable Energy Sector developed by the Energy Commission. It formally establishes the framework for licensing service providers as stipulated by the Renewable Energy Act 2011, Act 832, and provides guidelines for the application and grant of licence to service providers to conduct business in the renewable energy industry and for related matters.
Charcoal Production (For Export) Licence
- first obtain a Charcoal Production Licence from the Energy Commission;and
- then apply to the Commission for a Charcoal Export Permit
The Application procedures for the 2 stages can be found in the two (2) documents below.
- Charcoal Production Licence
- Charcoal Export Permit
A person who exports charcoal without a valid licence out of the country commits an offense and is liable on summary conviction to a fine of not exceeding two thousand penalty units or to a term of imprisonment not exceeding five years or to both.
Where the offence is committed by a body corporate, that body corporate is liable on summary conviction to a fine of not exceeding five thousand penalty units
Please click the appropriate link below to download the licence requirement of your interest:
- Wholesale Electricity Supply Licence
- Bulk Biofuel Storage Licence
- Bulk Charcoal Transportation Licence
- Charcoal Wholesale/Storage Licence
- Briquettes Export Licence
- Importation Licence
- Bulk Charcoal Production Licence for Local Market
- Installation and Maintenance Licence
- Briquettes/Pellet Production
- Biofuel Export Licence
- Biofuel Production Licence
The complete RE Licence Manual which contains all the above mentioned licences can also be downloaded here. Renewable Energy Licence Manual.
Please note that SCHEDULE I and SCHEDULE III should be part of your application documents together with the appropriate Application Fees.
Envelopes containing documents for application for licence should be marked “RE Application Form”.
NB: A breach of the above requirement is an offence under the Renewable Energy Act, 2011 (Act 832) and would be sanctioned accordingly.